No Thought of God is God–The Science of Transformation

no thoughtOne of my early inspirations was Joel Goldsmith. I was fortunate to acquire dozens of cassette tapes representing hundreds of hours of his lessons and talks. I remember one particular lecture where Joel made the point that “no thought about God is God.” To prove this he said, “Think about your mother. Is your thought about your mother, your mother?” Point taken.

How often are our thoughts and beliefs facsimiles or surrogates to a direct experience of the present moment? I raise this question within myself because my efforts to evolve and transform my own life seem bound to how I use my faculties, specifically my mind and awareness. In other words, how I think, take in my experience and how I make meaning can aid or inhibit my process of transcending the limitations of what is more accurately described as the body-mind.

Dr. Joe Dispenza in his ground-breaking book You Are the Placebo–Making Your Mind Matter asserts: “The conscious mind is only 5% of who we are. The remaining 95% is a set of subconscious programmed states in which the body has become the mind.” The body becomes the mind insofar as our “feelings have become the means of (our) thinking.” You are the placeboHe adds, “we can’t think greater than we can feel” because the unconscious programs that run us are programs bio-chemically memorized by our body to replicate specific mental and emotional states. Absent of direct access to these programs (our default operating system) we may labor in vain to transform our life. Consider this from his book:

So 95% of who you are is a subconscious or even an unconscious state of being. And that means your conscious mind’s 5% is working against the 95% of what you’ve memorized subconsciously. You can think positively all you want, but that 5% of your mind that is conscious will feel as if it’s swimming upstream against the current of the other 95% of your mind–your unconscious body chemistry that has been remembering and memorizing whatever negativity you’ve been harboring for the past 35 [or more] years.

This is part of the reason why transforming our lives is so much more difficult than thinking or praying our way to a better place. We can know the Truth, but the Truth can’t set us free until the programs that run us are aligned with Principle. The good news is that our conscious mind can reprogram our body-mind into new states of being once we understand how to override the emotional circuitry (body-mind) that keeps us unconscious.

But waking up is more that just being in our 5% awareness. It means awakening from the dream of our current self that is suspended in mind as a sense-of-self possessing multiple identities–what I sometimes call “I” entities–the knowing of our self in the context of what we have. I have a body, but sometimes I believe that my body is me. I have a story, but sometimes act as if my story is who I am. I have beliefs, but when my beliefs become the window of my perception and meaning-making, my beliefs define me. Whenever I confuse myself with what I have, I create an identity out of what I am having–a feedback loop within my body-mind that habituates a linkage between who I am and what I have. This confusion keeps us unconscious and outer focused.

In a previous blog I shared a distinction between a theology of belief and a theology of consciousness. For me, this distinction has revealed a new understanding of the dynamics of transformation. I made the point that a theology of consciousness is an engagement of the Divine, independent of belief, ideology, dogma or doctrine. In other words, a theology of consciousness is about beliefsexperiencing God directly. Whereas a theology of belief is often steeped in  religious doctrine where the experience of God happens by virtue or atonement. I make no judgment about religion as a theology of belief, its just that I can no longer subscribe to a belief system as a methodology for experiencing God. And, because the human brain is literally a believing machine that tirelessly works to validate whatever the belief system dictates, I find that my efforts to free myself from my own limiting beliefs cannot happen until I gain access to the programs (beliefs) that are running me without my permission.

So far I am presencing two issues that keep us unconscious and unable to access and intervene in the programs that run us. The first is confusing ourself with what we HAVE and thereby creating multiple identities that define us; and the second is the lack of understanding how our brain, A.K.A. the body-mind, creates our reality.

In addition, I am making what, on the surface, is an obvious distinction between consciousness and belief, but also what is not so obvious–that belief can eclipse consciousness when we are not aware of a belief that is running the show. Just as no thought of my mother is my mother, no thought can depict reality or supplant our programming because our thoughts are most often creating our programming. Our thoughts, beliefs, and perceptions are dynamics of mind arising within a medium of consciousness, but it is not the mind  that ultimately sees the dynamics of mind at work, it is our consciousness. We cannot use thoughts and beliefs to transform our lives until we can SEE how we see and SEE how we make meaning. This is what consciousness IS in part–self awareness in the context of seeing the dynamics of how we construct our own perceptions and meanings. This is something that WE do and we need to understand what is going on that underlies that process. By seeing how we construct our reality we access the 95% that is normally hidden from our awareness. Observation is intervention.

body mindI share Dispenza’s conviction that science is the contemporary language of mysticism and transformative spirituality. This is why I believe that it is critical for New Thought spiritual leaders to provide a scientific context for understanding and aligning with such fields as quantum physics (to help people understand how observation impacts reality), neuroscience (how the brain works and how new neural pathways come into being), epigenetics (how our genes can be reconfigured to aid in healing and renewal), and psychoneuroimmunology (the science behind how our thoughts and feelings affect the immune system and body chemistry). These disciplines provide the opportunity to apply information that sheds light on the mechanics of transformation.

As I mentioned in my last blog regarding the partnership between science and spirituality, I think we need to provide more than just spiritual principles to support people in their transformative journey. We need to help them manage their self-system in a way that helps them take back their power.

Finally, I will close with these words from Dispenza’s book regarding how we can change our beliefs and perceptions:

You must combine a clear intention with an elevated emotion that conditions your body to believe that the future potential that you selected from the quantum field has already happened. The elevated emotion is vital, because only when your choice carries an amplitude of energy that’s greater than the hardwired programs in your brain and the emotional addiction in your body will you be able to change your brain’s circuitry and your body’s genetic expression, as well as recondition your body to a new mind (erasing any trace of the old neurocircuitry and conditioning).

Sounds like a great description of the Q Process™.

Blessings, Gary

2 thoughts on “No Thought of God is God–The Science of Transformation”

    1. Hi Bill, You need to subscribe by providing your email via the “subscribe” window on the left side toward the bottom of the panel.

Comments are closed.